Clients are often reluctant to engage with social service providers for a variety of reasons such as fear of change, pessimism, addiction and mental health challenges, prior poor experiences, resentment at being forced to receive service, general distrust, and fear of stigma. This lively workshop will look at tips and tricks for engaging this population. Theory, demonstration and hand-on practice will give participants practical and proven strategies that increase the probability for success.
Some of the topics that will be covered in this workshop:
- Interviewing strategies for effective relationships
- Responses that reduce resistance and power struggles
- Harnessing the power of empathy and other active listening skills
- Working with involuntary clients
- Using motivational interviewing skills
- Engaging with clients who have substance abuse and/or mental health problems
- Developing a repertoire of skills that avoids a “one-size-fits all” approach
- Utilizing cognitive behavioural techniques in everyday practice
Success Tips For Working With Hard To Reach Clients is one day face to face workshop taking place in Vancouver.
Date: Thursday, November 20, 2014
Time: 9am – 4pm
Location: Maritime Labour Centre (1880 Triumph Street, Vancouver – Free parking)
Cost: $135 plus gst (Coffee/light refreshments included)
Registration: please email Bob Shebib at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot. Register now and your agency will be invoiced later. Please include agency name and phone number.